I thought I had left it too late in the season to share this recipe with you but with an Indian Summer here for at least the weekend I’m in the nick of time.
We came up with this little wrap combo when the children wanted aubergine and avocado for lunch. There’s a little bit of stove time if you want to griddle the veg before roasting (worth it in my book) but otherwise it’s a pretty easy meal to prepare.
Roasted Vegetable and Guacamole Wraps
1 red onion
1 red pepper
a small handful of fresh herbs (I like marjoram because it is outside my kitchen door but thyme or basil would work well)
Preheat oven to 180°C
- Slice the aubergine on the diagonal. Sprinkle a plate with salt and lay the aubergine slices on it. Sprinkle salt on top of aubergine and layer if necessary. Set aside for 20 – 30 minutes. Rinse to remove salt.
- Slice all the veg.
- Heat a griddle pan and grill the veg (if pushed for time skip this step or just aubergines and courgettes will work)
- Put all of the vegetables in a heat-proof dish, drizzle with some olive oil and add the herbs. Stir to coat and then roast uncovered in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes at 180°C
Half a red onion – finely diced
a handful of coriander – roughly chopped
1 chili (I used red but I think green is more classic) – finely diced
1 – 2 ripe avocados (1 large or two small) – peeled and stoned
1 lime – juice squeezed
- Put the onion, chili and coriander in a mortar and bash with a pestle.
- Add the avocado and gently squash it up (to your preferred consistency rough, smooth or somewhere in between)
- Add the lime juice and give it a final mix with in the mortar
Soft flour tortilla wraps
Greek or natural yoghurt to serve (I love Yeo Valley)
- Put the wraps in a tin foil parcel and heat gently for a couple of minutes in the oven
- Bring all of the components together at the table letting people build their own wraps
- In each wrap: spread 1 spoon of yoghurt and 1 spoon of guacamole. Pile on some veggies, roll and wrap ensuring the bottom is tucked over or it will drip!