Do you get obsessed by foods? I recently bought the most amazing orzo salad from The Risen Pizza Co in Winchester which I just could not get out of my mind. I went back the next week to buy more only to find they had none – they only make salads for hot days.
After freaking out I decided I would develop my own recipe as it was just too delicious to wait for a sunny day.
I think I have a pretty good recipe going on but I’ll concede that the Risen Pizza Co orzo salad was uncommonly good and you must buy some if you’re in Winchester. Here is a picture of Dennis looking rightly proud of his salads and pizza.
Now back to my version! What I love about this salad is that it really doesn’t take long to bring together. I made it before heading to a friend’s barbecue recently and let it cool on the way over.
I am fond of red peppers and love the colour so I could easily double the quantity I use in the recipe. I get my char grilled peppers from a jar (got to love that convenience). You could char grill them yourself of course but I can’t think of a good reason why you would spend the time on it!
Roasted Red Pepper Orzo Salad
2 large char grilled red peppers
1 red onion, sliced thickly
A handful of basil leaves
A dash of extra virgin olive oil
Serves 6 – 8 as a side dish
- Cook the orzo according to the package instructions
- Heat a griddle pan and gently toast the onions. You want them to be lightly charred and soft
- Put the red pepper, onion, basil and olive oil into a blender and wizz up until you have a smooth paste
- Drain the orzo retaining a couple of tablespoons of the cooking liquid
- Mix the cooking liquid and red pepper paste through the pasta and put it in a bowl