I spotted a picture of fabric covered flower pots on Pinterest a while ago. True to form though the link to the source was broken (I won’t even get started on my mixed feelings towards Pinterest!).
This weekend, while buying some herbs for the kitchen garden, I picked up some ranunculus for the kitchen as I just can’t resist their tightly wound petals. When I got them home the notion of fabric covered pots took hold and a little searching led me to this post.
I didn’t read further than the list of equipment as Mod Podge had me stumped. A little more searching and I found it on Amazon. Although it would have taken a mere couple of days to arrive I couldn’t wait and from the description (water-based glue and sealer) I figured trusty old PVA would be a good substitute. Update! I spotted on Kelly’s blog (thanks Jen for the pointer) that she made Mod Podge with 50;50 PVA to water – worth trying as my PVA was a bit thick under the fabric.
Rather than use one piece of fabric for each pot I decided to make mine patchwork with some precious Anna Maria Horner Good Folks scraps I have been hoarding for an indecent amount of time. I like the way they look although there are a couple of mistakes I made in my haste. If you’d like to make a patchwork fabric covered flower pot here’s what to do…
You will need:
- Terracotta flower pots
- Fabric in various colours, enough to cover them with some excess (I used 8 prints)
- PVA glue (or Mod Podge)
- A piece of string, ruler, brush, scissors and newspaper.
Measuring the fabric:
- Use the string to measure the circumference of the top and bottom of the pots as well as the length.
- The length should allow for about 2cm overlap at the top and about 1cm at the bottom.
- Cut your strips to size in a tapering strip (top width = circumference of top of pot ÷ number of strips of fabric then repeat for the bottom allowing for a small overlap) this will avoid large overlaps which cause wrinkles.
- Trim all stray threads and neaten the edges.
- Snip two slits in both the top and bottom edges which you will tuck over each other to give a smooth finish.
Sticking it to the pot:
- Use the PVA sparingly (I used way too much!) to brush over the section you are about to apply fabric to.
- Apply the fabric starting at the bottom and pushing it up towards the lip of the pot.
- As you press the fabric down, push any air bubbles out to the side and smooth wrinkles.
- You want to make sure there is no excess glue at the edges of the fabric as it will form wrinkles when it dries.
- At the top and bottom tuck the outer flaps in toward the middle so there is no bunching.
- Repeat for the next piece of fabric, overlapping the first slightly.
- When all the fabric is on the pots use the PVA to seal it. You want to coat it completely but not leave any big build-ups. Make sure you do the rim and inside before turning it upside down to do the outside.
- Leave your pots to dry overnight. I stood mine on empty jars so they didn’t stick.
Fill an enjoy!
As you will see from the pictures I made plenty of mistakes but the finished product is no less gorgeous. They looked so sweet sat in the sun today, well worth the half hour and sticky fingers!