With Alt Summit just over a week away my mind is on what I’ll be taking in my suitcase. Who doesn’t love packing for a fun week in the California sun? If you’re coming and not sure what to pack here’s my advice.
If you’re flying in you might want to cut back on some of the weight in your luggage.
- Mini toiletries are your saviour (remember liquid restrictions apply if you’re only carrying on)
- You really don’t need three pairs of shoes
- Share with friends – sharing a room? Which items can you pool to cut down on weight?
- Pick staple garments which can form the basis of several outfits
- Leave space for goody bag gifts (or mail them back to yourself from Palm Springs)
It may seem that everyone is judging you for your outfit but if they’re looking it’s because they secretly want to look as good as you do. Seriously! I pick out my wardrobe based on what will make me comfortable and what makes me happy, everything else follows. Here are a few thoughts to consider.
- Have layers for the evening or cooler days
- Pick shoes which don’t ruin your feet
- Choose colours which fit in with your online presence
- Switch things up with favourite accessories – I’m bringing enamel pins and statement necklaces to liven up my outfits
- Remember your pyjamas for morning balcony sessions (especially if you’re sharing a room)
- Comfort & joy over everything else
Honestly, you’re going to an event where people are open to making friends. Dress for you not who you think you should be.
Alt is a week of fun, frolics and time away from my day to day life to focus on my business.
This may be an in real life event but your digital presence still matters. Tweeting and instagramming the event is a way to make connections with people attending and those watching from afar. I never go to an event without:
- Phone battery – I love an eight charge battery to get me through an event
- Phone & iPad
If you are creating content while you’re away it is possible with a phone and iPad (I wrote this sat in an airport on my iPad mini) but it might not be your best work. Despite the extra weight having my laptop and big camera is a must for me as I can spend the jetlag hours keeping on top of my business and creating posts.
- SD card reader
- External drive
- Travel socket extender
Making connections and learning
- Business cards (200+ if you really want to work the event hard, 100 minimum)
- Pouch or large envelope to keep cards you collect in
- Favourite pens
Here are a few more things you might need.
- Ear plugs – the walls are thin at The Saguaro
- Sun cream (especially if you’re coming from a cold, dark climate like me)
- Swimsuit (towels are provided)
- Projects / products to photograph – we’re taking our friend Kim’s Palm Spring collection for a shoot. What work photography can you get done while you’re away?
- Podcasts and playlists for down time
- Drone – are you bringing yours?
Plan the Shit Out of it!
There is nothing like being prepared to calm you down.
- Make a list
- Pack what you’ll need last first and keep your first night essentials near the top
- Bring your packing list and check items off when you pack to come home
Inspired by Design Crush, Nikki and I have created this dreamy coloured packing list to keep you on track. Doesn’t Nikki’s design have you ready to immerse yourself in colour?
Click image to download printable PDF or follow this link.
What are you bringing to Alt this year? See you in Palm Springs!