This Recipe Will Change Your Life
That’s quite a claim but I can honestly say that each time I cook rice I feel grateful that I learned this method. Before I would wash my rice before cooking and still get sticky rice when it was not wanted. It meant having to cool rice before being able to stir fry it and even then it wasn’t perfect.
Thankfully my brother-in-law let me in on the secret of perfect steamed rice and life has never been the same again. So what is the secret? Oil.
That’s all it is – a little oil, heated and stirred through the rice before cooking and you get perfect non-sticky rice every time. This method is all measured by volume which makes life very easy – it’s an all round winner.
Do you have a recipe that changed your life?
Perfect Steamed Rice
Basmati rice – 100 – 125ml per person (measured in measuring jug)
1tbsp groundnut or sunflower oil
Boiling water – twice the volume of rice used (so for 250ml of rice use 500ml boiling water)
You will also need a wide bottomed pan with a lid and a tea towel.
- Bring your water to the boil and keep it boiling ready to measure when you need it.
- Heat the pan over a medium heat. Add the oil and let it heat through.
- Pour in the rice and stir for about a minute to coat it in the oil.
- Add your boiling water and stir once to combine.
- Put the lid on the pan and turn down the heat to the lowest setting on the smallest ring.
- Cook for 15 minutes. Leaving the lid in place the whole time – this is cooking as an act of faith…
- When the time is up, remove from the heat and take off the lid. The surface of the rice should have little holes and be free of water.
- Cover with the tea towel and leave to rest for five minutes.