I have been asked by Thompson Al Fresco to come up with a healthy recipe which is easy to cook whilst camping. They very kindly sent me some kitchen goodies to help with my creation.
For more information about this kind of post please read my disclosure for readers page. Kat xoxo
When we’re camping my priority for food is that it’s the same quality we’d serve at home but still easy to cook al fresco. Without a doubt one of my favourite dishes is soup as it is nourishing, versatile and easy peasy.
This recipe is light on prep and washing up yet heavy on the flavour and goodness. You’ll need a chopping board, knife, kettle, large pan, wooden spoon and masher. If you are cooking this at home with modern conveniences then I’d use a stick blender instead of a masher.
Click through to read the recipe after the jump…
Simple Vegetable and Lentil Soup
1 tbsp of olive oil
1 onion – finely diced
1 leek – washed inside and finely sliced
2 Carrots – roughly diced
1 small celeriac – peeled and roughly diced
1 potato – roughly diced
Half a cup of red lentils
1.5 litres of boiling water
1 vegetable or chicken stock cube (or equivalent)
- Prep your veg and get the kettle on to boil before you start cooking.
- Heat the oil over a medium flame then add the onions to gently soften.
- Once the onions are looking soft and translucent; add the sliced leek and stir for a minute or so. Add the remaining vegetables and stir through the mixture.
- Mix the stock cube into a little water in a cup to dissolve then add to the pan along with the rest of the water.
- Add the lentils and leave to simmer gently for half an hour.
- Once the vegetables look soft and the lentils are well cooked use your masher (or a stick blender) to smoosh the veggies.
- Serve with lashings of bread and butter.