Savoury muffins are delicious and make excellent picnic food. Having learned a lot since I took a baby Milla on her first picnic (ok, I learned one thing: fishcakes do not make good picnic food for babies) I have developed a heap of picnic favourites.
You can make these as regular sized muffins but I think they are best as mini muffins.
Cheese, Courgette and Black Olive Muffins
150g self raising flour
80g rolled oats
1 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp mustard powder
200g courgette, grated
150g cheddar, grated
1 handful of black olives, chopped (I buy black olives in brine either in a can or jar)
60ml vegetable or olive oil
Preheat oven to 180°C
Oil a muffin pan
- Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Stir through the courgette, cheese and olives.
- Whisk the milk, egg and oil in a separate jug then fold into the dry mixture until no flour remains then stop to ensure it isn’t over-mixed.
- Bake for 30 minutes (regular muffins) or 15 – 20 minutes (mini muffins).
- Swap courgette for carrot.